Are you ready to work for a law firm that does things differently? That has a culture of empowerment, collaboration, and trust. A place that makes you want to do better, be the best version of yourself each day. Are you an ardent learner who’s always looking to improve? Our team is like no other. We are all accountable, as a team, and we maintain a professionalism and driven work ethic second to none. We are not a typical law firm, and we covet the team we have built.
Lathrop Law’s litigation and pre-litigation paralegal supports two attorneys, 50-70 clients and interacts with medical providers, attorneys, judges, other legal professionals, and vendors. To keep this high-performance machine working well, multitasking and attention to detail are two of the most important duties of this position. The paralegal answers and organizes many emails, telephone calls and correspondence. Together we answer questions, moderate discussions, advocate for a safer community and live by our core values and core focus. To be a part of this badass team, you need to have personal injury experience, both litigation and pre-litigation.
A Typical Day as A Pre-Litigation and Litigation Paralegal
- Address each task list assigned through our case management system each day.
- Respond to emails and telephone calls within 24-hours in a manner that is solution oriented.
- Open & close files.
- Complete medical record, medical bill, wage loss and medical report requests.
- Complete discovery requests.
- OCR and organize medical records.
- Complete medical expense summaries.
- Conduct meetings with clients and client updates.
- Confirm balances and obtain reductions.
- Maintain client files.
- Calendaring and scheduling.
- Follow-up, follow-up, and more follow-up.
- Draft simple pleadings: notices & subpoenas.
- Draft complex pleadings: Motion in Limine, Motion to Compel, and any other responsive pleadings.
- Draft discovery to defendant.
- Answer discovery to defendant.
- Prepare attorney hearing & deposition folders.
- Legal research.
- Prepare & finalize all trial notebooks.
- Draft simple & complex Complaints.
You enjoy solving problems. You love taking on difficult challenges and finding solutions. You take initiative and don’t have to be micro-managed. You have a strategic mind and don’t give up easily. If you don’t know the answer, you’ll dig until you find it.
You like helping people. You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure.
You pay attention to the details. As far as you’re concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every single time. You stay focused, and nothing falls through the cracks on your watch.
You think on your feet. You like learning new things, and you can learn quickly. When things change, you know how to roll with the punches.
You communicate clearly. You write well. You speak eloquently. You can explain just about anything to anyone, and you’re comfortable communicating in writing, on the phone and in person.
You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without having to be asked and would never utter the words, “that’s not my job”. You will take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference. You value expertise.
- Quarterly team building outings
- Frequent company lunches with monthly and quarterly meetings
- Free parking
- Generous PTO plan
- Week of Christmas is a free PTO week
- Bank holidays paid
- Competitive salary: Tell us what you want to earn and how you’re going to earn it
- Cash balance plan after one consecutive year
- 401K plan after one consecutive year
- Understand Nebraska and Iowa court rules for civil procedure, discovery, and evidence.
- Experience e-filing in PACER and Nebraska Justice.
- Experience drafting complex pleadings, discovery documents, subpoenas, and correspondence.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat DC, case management software, and research tools.
- Proofread, revise, and edit legal documents and correspondence.
To be considered for this gig, please forward your resume and letter of interest to [email protected]. Your letter of interest must show us how you solve problems, why you belong with this team of great minds and how you will enhance its culture and growth. The subject line should read: “I’m the One”.
- This is a full-time position; hours are 8:30 to 5:00 p.m.
- This position is NOT remote.