After a Nebraska accident, you may be tempted to post photos, information, reactions, or video of what happened to you on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram. Doing so can create a record that may be used against you later on. Share those photos or videos with your car accident attorney instead.
Potential Consequences of Sharing Your Information on Social Media
Privacy matters when filing a claim after a Nebraska car accident, especially if there is any question about what happened or who is at fault. Potential complications from over-sharing on social media may include:
- Information about your health and losses gets back to the insurance company. This can be turned around and used against you.
- Comments may be used out of context to make it seem as though you are admitting fault or exaggerating your injuries.
- Your information is no longer confidential. That means anyone can use the information as public knowledge.
- Making negative claims about other people or companies could lead to complications when negotiating your claim.
If you want to let your friends know what happened, call or send them a message to let them know you’re okay. Avoid sending photos or any type of detailed explanation of what happened. Save that for your personal injury attorney.
Social Media Safety Tips
Be proactive when it comes to managing your social media accounts after a car accident. This includes:
- Make sure all of your social media accounts are set to private mode so no one can see what you’re doing.
- Monitor anyone else tagging you in photos or posts about the car accident. Remove those tags.
- Don’t add new friends or create new connections until you settle your car insurance claim.
- Don’t discuss your daily activity, recovery, or any info about your injuries on social media.
- Try to refrain from using social media at all until your claim is settled. Follow your attorney’s advice.
Don’t Wait to Have an Attorney by Your Side
The sooner you hire an attorney for your car accident claim, the faster you’ll have legal help protecting your rights. Discuss your case, at-length, with our team at the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO during a free consultation. Our Nebraska car accident attorney is always available to help you avoid costly mistakes.