There’s no simple way to know how long it will take to resolve your Nebraska car accident case, but there are a few factors that play a role in creating a settlement timeline.
Car Accident Cases Are Complex
A car accident case involving serious injuries, significant pain, lost time at work, or death can take a great deal of time to work through the claims process. It’s not possible to know what your full losses are until you’ve gotten most of the care you need.
Your personal injury attorney will help you file a lawsuit to recoup your losses. In some cases, this process can take a few months. However, more complex lawsuits may take a few years to settle, depending on the claims of the at-fault driver’s insurance.
5 Factors Play a Role in How Long It Takes to Resolve a Car Accident Claim
A number of factors in your case will determine the length of time it takes to settle it, including:
- If the insurance companies are willing to cooperate with your claim
- How extensive your injuries are and the length of time it takes you to receive all the care you need
- The legal process, which builds in time for the other party to respond to your claims
- The complexity of the case, such as how many drivers are involved or any missing evidence
- If you’re at-fault at all in the accident
What You Should Know Before You Settle
While it may seem important to you to settle quickly, doing so often works against you in car accident claims. You may settle for less than what you’re owed. Before you settle, remember to:
- Consider all medical bills, including any long-term care needs you may have
- Factor in all of your out-of-pocket costs such as lost wages, property damage, and even opportunities for advancement at work
- Any lifestyle changes you’ve had to make
- Pain and suffering you’re still enduring as a result of the incident
- Loss of quality of life or the ability to maintain your relationships
Request a Free Consultation
Call the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO, to discuss your case during a free consultation. When you do, you’ll find out how long Omaha, Nebraska car accident cases like yours have taken to resolve and what steps you should take to get the compensation you deserve.