Omaha Personal Injury Lawyer Fights for Full Compensation
Personal attention for victims of negligence in Douglas County, Nebraska
The idea of personal injury law is to hold wrongdoers accountable for the harm they cause to innocent people. When one person’s careless, reckless, or deliberate act or omission causes harm to someone else, justice requires the first person to pay appropriate compensation for that harm. For more than 25 years, I have helped innocent victims recover full and fair compensation for their injuries. At the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO, I provide personalized legal services, taking a hands-on approach to your case, answering all your questions, and addressing your concerns. My goal is for you to have immediate peace of mind, knowing your legal matter is in capable hands, as I work diligently to deliver the best results possible under the facts of your case.
Damages available for personal injury in Omaha
The legal term for the losses a victim suffers from an accident is damages. There are two major categories of damages: economic and noneconomic. Your economic damages include:
- Medical bills related to the injury, now and in the future
- Lost wages due to the injury, now and in the future
- Rehabilitation costs
- Costs of medical devices
- Costs to remodel a home or vehicle to accommodate a disability
Economic losses that you have already suffered are fairly easy to calculate. Future economic losses are more speculative and often require testimony by experts in medicine, physical and vocal rehabilitation, and finance to project. For example, if your injury is going to limit the type of work you can do and possibly force you into an early retirement, your demand for damages must take this into account.
Noneconomic damages are real losses that are less tangible. These include compensation for your:
- Physical pain
- Mental suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Damages in this category are much harder to prove and put a price on. Many cases rely on witness testimony contrasting the victim’s life before and after the injury to give the jury a clear picture of the losses suffered. Drawing on more than 25 years of experience in personal injury law, I know how to present compelling proof of noneconomic losses and to fight for the full compensation you deserve.
Determined advocacy in cases of complex and catastrophic injuries
A catastrophic injury is one that changes a victim’s life forever. Catastrophic harm includes paralysis, the loss of a limb, traumatic brain injury, disfiguring burns and scars, and injuries that diminish bodily functions. I have successfully managed many cases of catastrophic injury, related to:
- Motorcycle accidents — Because riders are so exposed, even a moderate-speed collision can cause severe, disabling injuries.
- Trucking collisions — Commercial trucks moving at highway speeds have enormous destructive potential. Victims in passenger cars can easily be crushed.
- Construction site accidents — When a construction workers falls from a height, the result is often a disabling injury or wrongful death.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect — Elders who are neglected in nursing home settings can suffer falls, leading to broken bones and crippling avascular necrosis. Elders who are not properly attended run the risk of bed sores, which are not only painful, but increase the risk of deadly sepsis.
An injury that changes a victim’s life so substantially requires a high level of compensation. I fight to maximize the amount my clients receive so justice can truly be served.
Capable representation for injury cases arising from a variety of negligent acts
In my personal injury practice, I regularly manage cases related to:
- Motor vehicle accidents — I represent motorists, motorcycle riders, passengers, pedestrians, and bicyclists injured in traffic accidents throughout Douglas County. I have managed cases caused by negligent drivers who were reckless, distracted, drunk, or simply inattentive. I know how to hold trucking companies accountable for driver negligence, poor equipment maintenance, or violations of trucking regulations. I also hold government entities accountable for accidents due to poorly designed, constructed, or maintained roadways.
- Premises liability — Property owners have a duty to make their premises safe for visitors by discovering and dealing responsibly with hidden hazards. I represent clients who are injured in slip and fall accidents, falling merchandise incidents, and criminal acts due to negligent security. I also represent clients who have been bitten or mauled by dogs.
- Work-related accidents — Victims of on-the-job accidents are generally covered by workers’ compensation, but they may also have the right to sue for negligence if the person who caused the accident is not their employer or coworker. I help clients get the workers’ comp benefits they are entitled to. I also investigate workplace accidents to see if grounds exist for a third-party negligence lawsuit, so my client can fully recover for losses.
- Amusement park liability — In recent years, theme parks across the country have created thrill rides that are more and more extreme, often with tragic results. I represent clients who have been injured by defective rides or negligent supervision. I also represent families in wrongful death actions following fatal accidents at such parks.
- State and local government liability — There are special rules, including much shorter deadlines, for filing personal injury claims when a governmental agency is at fault. I am thoroughly familiar with the process on the state, county and municipal level, and can guide you effectively to a favorable outcome.
When you entrust me with your case, you can expect my personal attention and highly professional representation throughout the legal process.
Contact a dedicated personal injury lawyer in Omaha, NE
If you have been hurt due to someone’s negligence, the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO can help you recover full and fair personal injury damages. To schedule a free consultation, call 402-590-5439 or contact my Omaha office online. My office is conveniently located at 14301 FNB Parkway, off the interchange of N. 144th Street and U.S. 6 and just north of Boys Town.