The statute of deadlines is key in your motorcycle case.Nebraska has personal injury and wrongful death statutes of limitations. These apply to car accidents as well as motorcycle accidents. In most cases, you have four years to file a personal injury case and two years to file a wrongful death case. This timeframe begins the day of the accident. 

Because of the motorcycle statute of limitations, you need to file your case prior to this date expiring. If you fail to do so, your losses may no longer be recoverable. 

Don’t Wait to Contact a Motorcycle Attorney

There’s no benefit, in most cases, in waiting to contact a personal attorney to help you in filing your claim. However, you don’t want to file your claim before you know all of the losses related to the claim. If you file too soon and additional medical care is necessary in the months to follow, you may not be able to secure those funds. 

Your personal injury attorney will work closely with you to ensure you estimate all of your losses and help ensure you file your claim within the statute of limitations. Some of your losses may include:

  • Emergency medical bills
  • Surgical medical bills
  • Long-term rehabilitation costs
  • Medication costs
  • Long-term loss of income because you can’t work
  • Loss of function of your limbs 
  • Quality of life changes 
  • Pain and suffering 

What Happens If You Wait Too Long to File Your Claim? 

There are situations in which people wait too long only to find out they can no longer make a claim. In most cases, if you file a case after the statute of limitations expires, the defense will file a motion to dismiss your claim. The court will likely grant this motion. That means your case is dismissed, and you cannot get financial compensation for your injuries. To avoid this, work with your personal injury attorney as soon as possible. 

Contact the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO for the guidance and support you need to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit. Our Nebraska motorcycle attorney may be able to guide you in filing a claim. Call us today.