After a hit and run, an attorney can help you get compensated for damages.A hit-and-run accident occurs when a person strikes another vehicle with their own and leaves the scene. Under Nebraska law, drivers involved in an accident must remain at the scene in nearly all situations. 

What Should You Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident?

If you’ve been hurt in a hit-and-run accident, remain at the scene, call for help, and seek medical attention for your injuries. Provide any identifying information about the other driver to law enforcement. If possible, try to capture the other driver’s license plate number, details about the car, and any witness statements. 

What Happens If the Driver Is Found?

Failure to stop at the scene of an accident is a criminal violation. The police will look for the driver and handle the criminal component to this process. If they find the driver, then you have the ability to file a personal injury claim against the driver following standard methods. 

It’s wise to work with a personal injury attorney to protect your recovery regardless of the criminal aspect of the case. Your damages may include:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost time at work
  • Long-term rehabilitation needs
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of function of your limbs
  • Injury resulting in the death of a loved one

What Happens If the Driver Is Not Located?

Sometimes, the driver cannot be found even after an extensive search. In this case, you can turn to your own insurance company to file a claim for the losses you’ve incurred. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to file a claim under this insurance policy. Alert your insurance company as soon as possible to ensure they are aware of the accident. 

It’s still important to work with a car accident lawyer to protect your right to recovery under your own policy. Even if you’ve faithfully paid your premiums, the insurance company may try to limit your damages to protect their bottom line. 

Contact Us Today

If you’ve suffered losses due to a hit-and-run accident, allow our team to handle the legal process for you to ensure you get the maximum possible compensation. You are not in this alone. Call the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO to set up a consultation.