Head-on collisions can cause severe injuries. A head-on collision occurs when cars collide front to front. This may happen because one car has crossed over the median, striking a car coming from the opposite direction. This type of collision can be devastating, with significant losses. There are various other potential causes for head-on collisions, including:

  • Tight curves or turns 
  • Distracted drivers
  • Passing without proper clearance 
  • Fatigued drivers 
  • Substance use while driving
  • Poor road signage or confusion 
  • Road hazards 

Who Is Liable in Head-On Accidents in Nebraska?

A variety of factors determine who is liable for a head-on collision in Nebraska. Generally, the person who failed to maneuver their car properly is most likely to be negligent in the case. Often, police officers on the scene will make a judgment call on this. Factors such as evidence at the scene, witness statements, and statements from involved parties help to formulate this decision. 

You may be able to dispute this in a court of law and allow a judge to determine who is at fault. Contributory negligence in car accidents is one potential outcome. In this situation, the court may determine that both drivers are partially responsible. The court assigns a specific percentage of negligence for each party, such as one driver being 25% at fault and the other being 75% at fault. Any monetary compensation is reduced by the amount of fault of each driver. You can collect compensation from the other driver as long as you are not more than 50% at fault for the accident. 

Potential Injuries in Head-On Accidents

Potential injuries from a head-on collision can vary widely based on speed, force, impact locations, and road conditions.  Some common injuries include:

  • Head and neck injuries. These often occur due to the impact itself, which forces the head to move rapidly back and forth. This can lead to spinal cord damage and brain damage in some cases.
  • Lacerations and soft tissue injuries. These occur when glass or metal cuts into the body. Organ damage is also possible. Bruises and cuts can range in severity. 
  • Broken bones. It is common to experience broken bones including in the head, legs, and arms due to the impact of the accident.

In some cases, the severity of the head-on collision can lead to death. When a fatal crash occurs, the surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim. This is essentially an extension of the personal injury claim the victim would have been allowed to file if they had survived the crash. 

What to Do After a Car Accident 

After a head-on collision, call 911 immediately. Don’t try to move your vehicle. If you’re hurt, stay where you are as long as you are out of the way of traffic. 

Gather as much information available at the scene as possible without risking your safety. This includes witness information and photos. 

Call the police to document the events as well as to determine negligence.

Even if you feel you are okay and can walk and move, it is best to go to the emergency room for a full exam to document what occurred.

Possible Damages Brought on by a Head-On Accident 

Because of the force and impact of a head-on collision, the damages can be extensive. They may include:

  • Emergency medical care
  • Surgical procedures 
  • Hospital stays
  • Rehabilitation and physical therapy
  • Medications and treatment during recovery
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering

Avoid speaking to an insurance adjuster if you are ready to file a claim for your accident. This can prove very important, especially if they request access to medical documentation or any statements from you. Let your car accident lawyer provide you with support here. This ensures your right to compensation for your injuries is protected. 

How Your Nebraska Car Accident Attorney Can Help You

Because a head-on collision can be so devastating, it is critical to have an experienced personal injury attorney working to represent you. At the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO, we will help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve. Call for a free consultation about your accident.