Injury to the face is common in motorcycle accidents due to impact or the heat present in an accident. After an accident like this, seek medical care immediately to reduce the risk of scarring, infection, or long-term complications. Then, work with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Nebraska to ensure your right to fair compensation is protected.
Common Types of Eye, Face, and Dental Injuries
The type of injuries sustained depends on the accident itself, but these are some of the potential injuries you could experience.
- Burns. To the face, eyes, and scalp, burns are disfiguring and painful. They also are commonly associated with infections. Burns occur from chemical fumes or fires that breakout after the accident.
- Lacerations and scratches to the eye. Debris or impact from sharp edges can damage the eye. This includes scratching the cornea, cutting into the eye, or damaging the structure around the eye. This increases the risk of vision loss but can also lead to scarring and disfigurement, especially if the eye is lost.
- Bone fractures. Any bone in the face can break or shatter, often due to impact on hard surfaces. This type of injury can cause damage to the underlying structure of the face. If in the eye area, it can cause swelling and complications to the eye as well.
- Changes to vision. Damage to the eye can cause changes to vision, including blurry vision, light sensitivity, double vision, or partial or full blindness. It can also lead to the development of painful headaches stemming from the region of the eyes. This can impact a person’s ability to work, read, watch TV, or engage in other activities.
- Dental injuries. Broken or missing teeth, damage to the tissues in the mouth, lacerations of the tongue, and broken jawbones are some of the potential injuries to the mouth after a motorcycle accident. These may impact speech and chewing or lead to painful infections.
- Serious disfigurement. In some motorcycle accidents, a person may lose their nose, jaw, or large portions of skin. Burns can cause a loss of tissue as well.
- Scarring. Many of these injuries create scarring. That can cause emotional damage as well as physical pain if the scars interfere with a normal range of motion.
All types of eye, facial, and dental injuries carry the risk of emotional and physical damage that lasts for years to come.
What to Do After an Eye, Face, or Dental Injury
These injuries require medical support. Getting to the doctor after a motorcycle accident is a priority. Even if you believe you have just a small cut, infection or unseen damage under the skin can occur. Work with your doctors and dentists to ensure your medical needs are met first.
Reach out to a motorcycle accident lawyer in Nebraska after receiving medical care to document:
- What happened to you
- What type of injuries you’ve sustained
- What type of changes these injuries created in your life
- How the injuries impact your self-confidence
- Any pain or suffering you’ve had
- Changes in your ability to work
Your attorney works to gather information and witness statements while also ensuring your rights are protected throughout the process of filing a claim. Allow them to help you determine not just what your medical bills are now but what additional losses you may have in the coming months and years due to the motorcycle accident.
After a motorcycle accident with facial injuries, you need an attorney you can depend on to provide accurate, reliable information. Call the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO, to discuss your case with us. Let our team answer your questions, guide your settlement, and minimize risks to your claim. Schedule a free consultation today.