The risk of disfigurement in a motorcycle accident is high due to the lack of protection surrounding the rider. With limited protection from clothing and boots, motorcycle riders are more exposed when they hit a guardrail or another object. This can lead to disfiguring injuries that impact health, function, and self-confidence.
Types of Disfigurement
A range of disfigurements can happen after a motorcycle accident. Some of the most common include:
- Burns. Severe burns can damage tissue significantly, making it difficult for muscles to move and function normally. Infections are also common with burns. Burns can limit movement and function, lead to chronic pain, and cause severe scarring. Some people need counseling and extensive surgeries after burns.
- Amputations. The loss of an arm, leg, fingers, or hands can limit mobility and impact quality of life. Some people struggle with chronic pain in the area. They may also struggle to perform their normal work tasks or return to work at all. Amputation may require long-term rehabilitation to regain function along with prosthesis, which can be costly and require upgrades over time.
- Scarring. Sometimes scars lead to pain, but they also create emotional trauma. Scarring can limit the mobility and function of limbs, depending on location.
- Facial injuries. A significant number of people also suffer disfigurements to the face, such as damage or loss of the jaw or nose. Facial injuries can be emotionally devastating, leading to the need for counseling.
Possible Compensation for Losses
People with disfiguring injuries may suffer numerous types of losses, including claims for:
- Emergency room visits
- Surgical procedures
- In-hospital stays
- Psychological counseling
- Infection treatment and control
- Long-term rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Medications and other therapy
Compensation for these types of injuries is not just for the immediate losses. Rather, because these injuries can cause long-term losses and require numerous procedures, treatments, and rehabilitation periods, it’s critical to ensure requested compensation is adequate to cover all past and future damages related to the accident.
How to Get the Compensation You Deserve
To get all of the compensation necessary, be vigilant about protecting your rights. Work with a Nebraska motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. Gather all evidence of what happened at the scene, including witness statements if possible.
Work with your attorney to prove liability. Even if you were not wearing a helmet, you may still have the right to compensation if someone else caused your accident. Your attorney is likely to work with you to determine the extensiveness of your loss and prove your long-term needs. The value of damages depends on multiple factors, not just the medical bills you have.
Protect your case and evidence. Don’t talk about what happened on social media. Posting photos or videos there may lead to misinterpretation of your injuries later. It’s also important to consider limiting conversations with insurance adjusters. Instead, allow your attorney to control all communication regarding the accident.
Hire a Nebraska Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Your Case
Working with a personal injury attorney is one of the most important steps you can take after your accident. Doing so enables you to gather key information on the steps you can take to maximize your claim and minimize complications. Most importantly, having an attorney by your side that understands what you’re losses are is critical. Don’t talk to an insurance adjuster until you speak to your Omaha motorcycle attorney.
If you’re suffering after a motorcycle accident with disfigurement or other losses, let our team at the Law Office of Matthew A. Lathrop, PC, LLO help you. You have the right to compensation for any losses someone else caused. Let us help you determine what those losses may be and how to protect your rights. Schedule a free consultation today.